Saturday, October 13, 2018 / 9:00 am to 5 pm
Click here to download the audition brochure
If you are interested in auditioning to be a part of our 2018–2019 season please fill out the online application and you will be contacted to be given an audition date and time.
All auditions will be held at the Virtuosi of Houston Studio located in Memorial City Mall, Houston.
For additional information, please call Karen Needham at 713.463.0801 or email email@example.com.
Fill out the information below to request an audition time.
- Only youth chamber orchestra in Houston of its kind
- Virtuosi of Houston Maestros select 40–55 musicians by audition each season
- Artistic Directors and Conductors Andrzej Grabiec and Franz Anton Krager founded the orchestra in 1996. Both serve on the faculty of the University of Houston Moores School of Music. Under this two-conductor structure, more individual training is provided.
- A typical season includes two concerts in Zilkha Hall in the Hobby Center for the Performing Arts and an annual fundraising concert and dinner in a prestigious Houston hotel.
- Total of 30 rehearsals during the academic year/season
- Rehearsals are held twice a week on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:45 to 9:30 pm, beginning five weeks prior to the
- Dinner is provided by Virtuosi of Houston during rehearsals
- Rehearsal schedule is set so as not to conflict with other youth orchestras
- Rehearsals are held in a state-of-the-art 5,000 square foot studio in Memorial City Mall
- Concert programs are professionally designed and include a headshot and biography for each student member
- An annual Concerto Competition awards a total of $10,250 in scholarship support to seven competitors. First-place winners in the wind and string divisions are also invited to perform as soloists in the spring concert. Funds can only be applied to music education expenses. The Concerto Competition is open only to current Virtuosi of Houston musicians.
*Concert dates subject to change.
Virtuosi of Houston operates on the theory that absorbing instruction in an intense, short period of time produces an excellent end product. The student musicians also benefit from the joint direction of two conductors. While one maestro conducts from the podium, the other circulates throughout the ensemble tutoring individual players on the correct techniques of fingering, pitch, sound and other good music practices. Each student benefits from their complementary direction, expertise and knowledge.
Bass, Bassoon, Cello, Clarinet, Flute, Harp, Horn, Oboe, Piano, Percussion, Timpani, Trumpet, Viola, ViolinAll Virtuosi of Houston members are expected to:
- Commit to attending all the rehearsals for the entire concert season. Three unexcused absences may result in dismissal from the orchestra. In case of direct conflict with a school event, the school event will always take precedence. All absences must be called in or emailed to the Virtuosi office by 2:00 pm on the day of the absence.
- Individually practice their respective parts and come prepared to rehearsals to the best of their ability.
- Demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity with respect to one another, to the Artistic Directors and to representatives of the management, the staff, volunteers and the Board of Directors of the organization.
Virtuosi of Houston will provide:
- Many exciting musical experiences
- An atmosphere of mutual respect and professionalism
- Music Directors who will fully share their knowledge and expertise during rehearsals and concerts
New Members Should Prepare the Following (memorization is not required):
- Major and minor scales and arpeggios (3 octaves – string players; 2 octaves – wind players)
- One prepared solo or concert piece; piano accompaniment is not required
- Preparation of orchestral excerpts for your instrument. Contact Karen Needham at firstname.lastname@example.org
to request the excerpts.
Returning Members Need Only To Prepare the Following (memorization is not required):
- One prepared solo or concert piece; piano accompaniment is not required.
All auditions are held at the Virtuosi of Houston Studio in Memorial City Mall. View map of our location.
Applications and audition fee must be received at least 14 days prior to the preferred audition date. If the deadline for applications cannot be met, please call to request a waiver.
For additional information, please call Karen Needham at 713.463.0800
Mail, fax or e-mail the two-page application form and non-refundable application fee to:
Virtuosi of Houston
303 Memorial City, Suite #235
Houston, Texas 77024
Checks to be made out to Virtuosi of Houston
CODE OF ETHICS
All Virtuosi of Houston members are:
- Preferred to be active members of their respective school orchestra or band.
- To demonstrate their commitment by attending all the rehearsals for the entire concert season. Three unexcused absences may result in dismissal from the orchestra. In case of direct conflict with a school event, the school event will always take precedence.
- All absences must be called in or emailed to Karen Needham at email@example.com by 2 pm the day of the absence.
- To individually practice their respective parts and come prepared to rehearsals to the best of their ability.
- To demonstrate the highest standards of personal integrity with respect to one another, to the Artistic Directors, and to representatives of the management, the staff, volunteers, and the Board of Directors of the organization.
Virtuosi of Houston members are promised:
- Many exciting musical experiences.
- An atmosphere of mutual respect and professionalism.
- Music Directors who will fully share their knowledge and expertise during rehearsals and concerts.